Do I need Exit and Emergency Lighting?

Fire exitWe get asked this a lot by building owners and their tenants if they need Exit and Emergency Lighting. The Building Code of Australia (BCA) 2010 states the requirement for this in Section E, Part E4. There are different obligations under the Regulations dependent on if the building was built after 1st July 1994, or when building work occurred on that building.

In essence, all Class 6 buildings over 100m² built after 1st July 1994 require exit and emergency lighting and all Class 6 buildings require at least one exit sign. Class 6 buildings include shops, cafés, restaurants, milk bars, dining rooms, and bars.

All required exit signs and emergency lights must comply with Australian Standard AS2293.1.

To make sure you are compliant you can contact us here.